University of California Postdoctoral Scholars with the following title codes are eligible for a package of benefits specifically designed for them.
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Employee [Title code 3252] used when paid through the University payroll system
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Fellow [Title code 3253] used when a fellowship has been awarded by an extramural agency and paid through a University account
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Paid Direct [Title code 3254] used when a fellowship or traineeship for postdoctoral study by an extramural agency and the agency pays the Postdoc directly
To qualify for this benefit package, a Postdoctoral Scholar’s appointment must be 50% for one year or more or 100% for 3 months. Postdoctoral Scholar’s may be assigned to more than one Postdoctoral title concurrently depending on extramural funding agency requirements. Additionally, Postdoctoral Scholars may be assigned a lecturer title up to 50% concurrently with a Postdoctoral title code at 50%; BELI code must be P. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by Graduate Division.
Garnett-Powers & Associates (GPA)is the insurance broker/administrator for the Postdoctoral Scholars Benefits Plan (PSBP). Garnett-Powers is pleased to offer a PSBP Customer Service Representative, dedicated to this program and available to assist with questions about plan coverage. They can be reached at 1-800-254-1758.
The PSBP offers the following insurance choices:
- Health Net Health Maintenance Organization [HMO]
- Health Net Preferred Provider Organization [PPO]
- Health Net Dental Health Maintenance Organization [DHMO]
- Principal Preferred Provider Organization [PPO]
- Health Net Preferred Provider Organization [PPO] also known as Eye Med
- Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) The Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) program offered by Standard Insurance Company is a comprehensive benefit that helps you responsibly secure your financial resources. You will be automatically enrolled in the Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefit. The $10,000 of Medical Evacuation Insurance and $7,500 of Repatriation of Remains Insurance required for J1 visa holders will be covered by the Standard Life Insurance Program. More information at the following link: :Insurance Requirements for J-1 Scholars
- Short-term Disability You will be automatically enrolled in the Short-Term Disability Insurance program offered by Standard Insurance. This disability benefit offers you a percentage of your pre-disability earnings during a benefit period of up to 180 days.
- Voluntary Long-term DisabilityThis program offered by Standard Insurance provides you a way of protecting your income should you become disabled. It would begin after your Short-Term Disability income protection ends, after 180 day waiting period.
- Postdoctoral Scholars appointed in title code 3252 (Employee) are eligible to participate in the Retirement Savings Programs,403b and/or 457b.
- Postdoctoral Scholars appointed in title codes 3253 and 3254 (Fellows or Paid Directs) are not eligible to participate in the Retirement Savings Programs.
- Defined Contribution Plan [DC Plan]
- In addition, University of California Postdoctoral Scholar Employees who are not otherwise covered by a retirement system contribute to the University of California DC Plan in lieu of paying Social Security taxes at 7.5% rate of your wages, pre-tax. Participation in the plan is mandatory as a condition of employment. Nonresident aliens with F-1 or J-1 visa status are exempt from the mandatory DC Plan participation. For more information: retirement savings safe harbor
Insurance Plan Costs
Starting with the January 1, 2012 plan year, there will be mandatory Postdoc employee contributions for the HMO medical plan. Rates will be announced during Open Enrollment;
- Monthly rates for 2012 for insurance plans for postdoctoral scholars
- Monthly rates for 2011 for insurance plans for postdoctoral scholars
- The University contribution towards the premium varies depending upon the Postdoc appointment title code and the grant specifics.
- Taxability of Health Benefits provided to Postdoctoral Scholars
Have questions or problems with your insurance plans?
- Frequently asked Questions about Postdoctoral Scholar insurance plans
- Contact Postdoc Benefits Coordinator at: (805) 893-4263
Policy & Procedures